How to Apply for a Marriage License

Persons wishing to obtain a license must file their intentions with the Town Clerk in person at least three days before the ceremony.  Court waivers to the three-day waiting period may be obtained at the Ayer District Court.

The cost of a license in Pepperell is $30. The license is valid for sixty days, and may be used for a ceremony conducted in any Massachusetts city or town. The member of the clergy or Justice of the Peace who performs the ceremony must sign the license and return it to the city or town where it was issued. The completed license is then sent to the State Registry of Vital Statistics.  

Certified copies of the record must be obtained from the city/town where the intentions were filed or from the State Registry of Vital Statistics. The cost for certified copies of a marriage is $12.

All Massachusetts vital records may also be obtained at the State Registry of Vital Statistics (617) 740-2600. 

Name Change

With your certified copy of the marriage license
  • Change your Social Security card
  • Change your license at the DMV
Once you have a social security card and driver's license in your married name, other changes should be fairly easy. Some places only require a phone call; others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate or social security card. 

Some other changes:
  • Employers/payroll
  • Post office
  • Electric and other utility companies
  • Credit card companies
  • Schools and alumni associations
  • Landlord or Mortgage Company
  • Insurance companies (auto, home, life)
  • Doctors' offices
  • Voter registration office
  • Investment account providers
  • Your attorney (to update legal documents, including your will)
  • Passport office

This is only a suggested list and may not cover all your documents.